If you experience trouble pairing your goTenna Mesh device, First, you'll need to make sure you're pairing through the goTenna app rather than your Bluetooth settings. If you've connected through your Bluetooth settings, you'll need to 'Forget' the goTenna device. From here, you can try these steps:
1. Power your device off+on.
2. Toggle your device's Bluetooth off+on.
3. Try pairing the goTenna Mesh to another device, this will help you determine if there is a phone settings issue or if you need to troubleshoot with goTenna Mesh.
4. Try these device-specific steps:
1) Confirm that you're using the most recent OS. goTenna is compatible with Android 4.3 or higher.
2) Turn on location settings.
3) Turn off battery optimization.
4) Turn your goTenna on.
5) In the goTenna app, open the main menu and tap 'Pair goTenna'. Make sure you're attempting to pair only after the goTenna is on.
6) When your goTenna has paired, you will see the LED lights on the goTenna flash.
1) Confirm that you're using the most recent OS. goTenna is compatible with iOS 10 or higher.
2) Turn your goTenna on.
3) In the goTenna app, open the main menu and tap 'Pair goTenna'. Make sure you're attempting to pair only after the goTenna is on.
4) When your goTenna has paired, you will see the LED lights on the goTenna flash.
If you continue to have trouble after these steps, you can try resetting your network settings.
To reset your network settings, please follow the steps below:
1) Swipe down from the top of the screen to pull down the Notification Shade.
2) Tap the Settings button.
3) Swipe up to scroll down on the settings screen.
4) Tap Backup and reset.
5) Tap Reset network settings.
6) Tap RESET SETTINGS.
1) Open Settings.
2) Tap General.
3) Tap Reset.
4) Select Reset Network Settings.
If you continue to have trouble, please contact email@example.com for additional assistance.
*If you began to observe this pairing behavior after a firmware update, please review the firmware section below.
Generally, all messaging trouble is related to how contact information is stored within the goTenna App. Simply, if a user has setup their account using a random ID instead of a phone number, using their imported smart phone contact number will result in an inability to message. Confirm that you have the proper contact listed. Similarly, if your contact information for a user, within the goTenna App, does not reflect the proper country code, messaging will not work. You can try the following bellow tests to make sure you're set up to message properly.
Confirm the contact information is stored properly:
1) Open 'Contacts' in the goTenna app.
2) Scroll to the user you wish to establish a 1 to 1 chat with and tap on their name.
3) Once open, tap the info 'i' in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
4) Select 'Edit Contact'.
5) Confirm that the contact number has the proper country code in the number. For example, in the US, 1555-5555-555. Inputting the '1', or proper country code, will allow you to establish a 1 to 1 chat. Note, the format will look a little different than a standard phone number.
Try the Shout test:
1) Confirm both goTenna devices your testing have been successfully paired.
2) Send a shout. If the shout is successfully received, then both goTenna units have been set up properly.
3) From the shout message, press and hold the received message.
4) A menu will pop up, select 'Send Private Message'. This will open a 1 to 1 chat with the user.
5) Send a private message. This is the easiest way to start your 1 to 1 chat thread.
Because goTenna Mesh transmits on RF, the root cause of this issue is almost certainly the recipient's stored contact information. Likewise, range can effect message delivery; as you conduct these tests, first try at very close range and extend from there.
Manually Initiate a firmware update
To manually initiate the firmware update:
- Select 'Settings' from the Side Menu.
- Select 'About'.
- You'll see a blue button to update firmware, tap that button.
If you do not see this button, and you're on a firmware version prior to 1.1.8, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional assistance.
Is your update failing?
If you can manually initiate (or re-initiate) the update, then you're in good shape! Certain updates can take a while to complete. If you're updating from 13.48 -> 1.18, especially, then this update can take up to an hour. Let the update run without any other activity and your goTenna Mesh within close range. This will prevent potential disruptions.
Did the update fail and now you cannot pair?*
Observe the behavior of the goTenna Mesh LED. Is it rapidly flashing, faster than the standard searching to pair flash? Does it continue this flashing unless you power the device off? If so, your goTenna Mesh is paused in the very final stages of the firmware update. This is something you can fix!
If you have access to an iOS device, download the goTenna App and pair your Mesh with that device. You should see messaging that indicates that the firmware update is wrapping up (let it finish!)-- or-- you'll see it pair seamlessly and you can confirm the firmware version reflects 1.1.8 under Settings > About > Device Information.
If you don’t have an iOS device to help you, or you launched the update on iOS, please try the following steps, in this order:
- Power Mesh off.
- Tap ‘Unpair’ from settings.
- Force close app.
- Reopen app.
- Power Mesh on.
- Tap ‘Pair’ from settings.
If, after this, you see no change, follow by:
- Tap to unpair or cancel pairing from settings.
- Then attempt to pair.
Further after this,
- Close the app.
- Reopen the app.
- Pair from settings.
If this does not resolve the issue for you, please contact email@example.com for additional assistance.
Login + App Download
Having trouble logging in to the goTenna App? Make sure you're using the proper goTenna App (purple logo). The goTenna Pro App (black logo) will request login credentials, the goTenna App (purple), will not. If you've downloaded the improper app, please uninstall goTenna Pro and download goTenna.
Relay Mode Setup
Does it appear as though your relay node is not hopping messages? Pair to the device and confirm that the region settings of your device reflect the same region settings as all of your other goTenna Mesh. If the devices are on different region settings, you'll experience odd relay behavior. You can confirm the region settings, when a Mesh is paired, under Settings > About > Device Information.