goTenna Mesh offers a yearly, in-app, subscription which unlocks access to location tethering, SMS relay, recording trip statistics, extended hops, and topographic map downloads.
All goTenna Mesh users receive a free 30 day trial of goTenna Plus. Thereafter, users can purchase the subscription through the goTenna App or directly through their Google Play or Apple account access.
Once subscribed, your goTenna Plus subscription is tied to your Google Play or Apple account. Any devices that are linked to that account can take advantage of the goTenna Plus features. Other, unique, Google Play or Apple accounts would need their own goTenna Plus subscription.
What are the goTenna Plus features?
If a goTenna user nearby has cell service, they can transmit your message via SMS to your intended recipient. Here's an example of how this works:
Let’s assume you wish to message someone who is outside goTenna Mesh range, or doesn’t have goTenna Mesh at all, and you don’t have service on your paired device. Here’s how SMS relay works:
- You send your message through the goTenna app and select SMS relay.
- The message transmits through your goTenna Mesh device.
- The message will then ping all other goTenna Mesh in the area.
- If one of those receiving goTenna Mesh is paired to a device that has service, that goTenna
- Mesh will send the message to a SMS relay server.
- The SMS relay server will send that message to the intended recipients phone via SMS.
Also known as auto-location sharing, this feature allows you to automatically share your location with a desired recipient. This means you can skip the ad hoc location sharing and receive updates every 1, 5, or 10 minutes.
To set up location tethering, take the following steps:
Select ‘Chat’ from the Side Menu.
Create a new chat, or select the existing chat with the user you’d like to tether.
Tap the Location icon on the left side of the text box.
Tap ‘Start Auto-Sharing Location’.
From here, you’ll toggle location tethering on/off.
Select the frequency at which you’d like to update and share your location (Every 1, 5, or 10 minutes).
Select the duration for which you’d like to send location updates (15 minutes, 30 minutes, or any duration between 1 - 12 hours).
Download a Topographic Map
With topographic maps, you can download an offline map which shows your location with more contextual geographic detail than the available street maps. You can toggle topographic maps on from the location view at anytime, so long as you're subscribed to goTenna Plus.
To download a topographic map, take the following steps:
Select ‘Location’ from the Side Menu.
Toggle Topographic Maps on from the black topographic map bar at the bottom of the view.
Tap the Down Arrow icon in the lower right corner.
Place the square around the area of topographic map you’d like to download. Tap ‘Download’.
You will now see the downloaded Topographic are highlights in green.
Record Trips Statistics
Using this feature, you can record the path you travel along with distance, elevation, and timing metrics.
To begin recording trip statistics, take the following steps:
Select ‘Location’ from the Side Menu.
On the black bottom bar, toggle topographic maps on.
Swipe up on the black bottom bar.
Tap ‘Record’ to begin recording your trip. When recording, this button will show ‘Recording…’.
To pause recording, tap ‘Recording…’. which will then show ‘Paused’.
To Save your trip, tap ‘Save’.
To reset your trip, tap ‘Reset’.
How can I activate my current Plus subscription on a new device?
To activate your existing Plus subscription:
Select the goTenna Plus logo at the bottom of the Side Menu.
Scroll to the bottom of the goTenna Plus landing page and tap "Subscribe Now"
You'll see options appear to either 'Buy Now' or 'Restore'.
Since you'll be activating your existing Plus account, you can select 'Restore'.
You'll sign into your Apple or Google Play account that has the Plus subscription associated with it.
You can then activate your subscription.
How can I cancel goTenna Plus?
To cancel the goTenna Plus subscription, you'll need to cancel from your Google or Apple account settings. If you're using an Android device, you'd cancel from your Google account or with iOS, you'd cancel from your Apple account.
For Android devices:
1) Launch the Google Play Store app.
2) Tap Menu -> My Apps -> Subscriptions and tap on the app of the subscription you’d like to cancel.
1) Alternatively, tap Menu -> My Apps -> Tap the app of the subscription you’d like to cancel -> Tap the app’s details page.
2) Tap “Cancel” and “Yes” to confirm the cancellation.
Now, the status of this Subscription has been changed from Subscribed to Canceled.
For iOS devices:
1) Access Settings in the home of your device.
2) Scroll down and tap iTunes Store and AppStore.
3) Tap your e-mail and Apple ID, View Apple ID and enter your password.
4) Now, tap Subscription - Manage and select goTenna.
5) Turn off the auto-renewal option and tap Done.